Border Conference Commences
The fourth installment of the Border Conference on US-Mexico Competitiveness opened Aug. 7 at the UTEP Undergraduate Learning Center.
American and Mexican speakers representing leadership from the public, private and non-profit sectors are speaking about bi-national issues affecting the borderland.
"UTEP has been a national model for colleges and universities," said Diana Natalicio, UTEP President in her opening remarks. "From UTEP's perspective, the ties between El Paso and Juarez are strong."
The conference is expected to draw national attention to the concerns of individuals living along the American-Mexican borders.
Natalicio welcomed community members and visiting dignitaries, including Congressman Beto O'Rourke and El Paso County judge Veronica Escobar.
O'Rourke said that we, in the El Paso-Juarez community, understand the specific challenges that are unique to our area.
"We need that message to get out to the rest of the world," O'Rourke said.
The conference continued with dialogs from US Ambassador, E. Anthony Wayne, to Mexico Ambassador, Eduardo Medina Mora.
Though the conference is ongoing, a majority of the conversation has been focused on the themes of education, economic development and creating partnerships between the public and private sectors.
John Steen, Texas Secretary of State, stressed the need to ensure the smooth operations of border communities.
The conferences proceeding will continue until 3 p.m. today.
S. David Ramirez may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Prospector News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PROSPECTOR NEWS
- San Japan convention passes 11,000
- Miners offense shines in first scrimmage of Kugler era
- Breaking Bad: "Buried" recap
- The Sun City Girls: The first professional dance team in El Paso
- 6th annual anime convention in San Antonio
- Breaking Bad: "Blood Money" recap
- UTEP soccer begins preparation for upcoming season
RECENT THE PROSPECTOR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas